- What are the standard turnaround times for various purchasing transactions?
|Purchases||Standard Turnaround Times|
|Purchases less than $3,000||Will be issued a purchase order within one (1) business day from the date that a requisition reaches Purchasing.|
|Purchases between $3,001 and $20,000||Will be issued a purchase order within two (2) business days from the date that a requisition reaches Purchasing.|
|Purchases between $20,001 and $60,000||Will be issued a purchase order within three (3) business days from the date that a requisition reaches Purchasing.|
|Purchases over $60,000, depending on the complexity||Will be issued a purchase order within thirty (30) business days from the date that a requisition reaches Purchasing.|
- Who do I contact for various procurement transactions?
- firstname.lastname@example.org or 646-2916 for POs/Bids/RFPs & Change Orders
- email@example.com or 646-2916 for procurement card program
- firstname.lastname@example.org or 646-2916 for vendor setup
- What is the process for increasing monthly and per transaction limits on Procurement Cards (PCards)?
- Temporary increases may be approved by the PCard Administrator on a case by case basis. If a Department requires an exception, an email should be sent to email@example.com detailing the circumstances for the temporary increase.
- What is a sole source purchase and how do I go about making a sole source purchase?
- Sole source procurement is when only one vendor possesses the unique and singularly available capacity or characteristic to meet the requirements of technical specifications or scope of work. A department is required to fill out a sole source justification form that documents and explains why this is the only source for the requirement.
- Sole source procurements must be posted on the NMSU website for 30 days prior to award. If a department is pursing sole source procurement, a Buyer will need sole source justification for, specifications/scope of work of goods or services, proposed vendor and amount of purchase. If the 30 day waiting period elapses without a challenge, the sole source purchase can be made. If the sole source is challenged, Purchasing will follow protest guidelines and the purchase may require a formal Bid/RFP. Departments will need to plan well in advance of a sole source purchase.
- What is the bid process for items over $60,000?
- A department shall provide Purchasing technical specifications/ scope of work for requested goods or services. Purchasing will advertise bid, distribute bid to potential suppliers and forward submitted supplier bids to Department. A bid shall be awarded to the lowest submitted cost from responsible supplier that meets or exceeds technical specifications/scope of work. The bid process usually take up to thirty (30) days to complete. A department should contact a Buyer at 646-2916 for assistance.
- How do I correct an accidental misuse of index numbers?
- An accidental misuse of an index number(s) would require a Purchase Order Funding Change form to correct funding on a Purchase Order. However, if payments have been made, a journal voucher would be required to transfer the expenditure to the correct index.
- When is a Professional Service Contract Form required?
- A Professional Service Contract Form (PSC) is required when the fee for the services are $3,000 or over. Additionally, a contractor proposal should accompany a PSC when fees exceed $5,000.
- When is an electronic change order (Banner) required?
- If there is a total change that exceeds $500 or if adding a line item(s) an electronic change order is needed.
- If changing a description, deleting a line item(s) or canceling a PO an email detailing the action to be taken may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the difference between canceling a Purchase Order and releasing an encumbrance?
- When a Purchase Order is created and good/services were not received, a PO might need to be canceled in its entirety. A department may request a PO cancellation by emailing email@example.com.
- In order to release excess funds that were not used on a Purchase Order an encumbrance release is required. A department may request an encumbrance release by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the process for allowing departments to acquire equipment on a trial basis?
- A department should enter a requisition for $1.00 and send purchasing any supporting documentation. Purchasing will detail the value of the equipment, which party will pay shipping costs and the duration of the trial period on the Purchase Order.
- Who sends a supplier a copy of the Purchase Order for ordering goods or services?
- If the Purchase Order is $3,000 or less, the requesting department sends the PO to the supplier.
- If the Purchase Order exceeds $3,000, the purchasing buyer sends the PO to the supplier.
12. What are some common problems that might hold up getting a Purchase Order?
Some of the common problems include:
- Vendor has not filled out a vendor questionnaire and has not been entered into the Banner system
- Vendor is terminated in Banner system and needs an updated vendor questionnaire
- Quote provided by vendor has expired
- Quote provided does not match requisition
- Vendor might require a contract or agreement that needs to be reviewed by General Counsel
- Federal funds require additional forms from vendor depending on dollar amount being purchased
- Purchase might require additional quotes depending on dollar amount being purchased
- Purchase might require a formal bid or request for proposal depending on dollar amount being purchased
- If the Purchase Order exceeds $3,000, the purchasing buyer sends the PO to the supplier
13. What are the purchasing thresholds that require multiple quotes?
|Small Purchase – $3,000 or Less||Documentation demonstrating best obtainable price must be maintained by Department for auditors’ inspection|
|$3,001 to $20,000||1 written quote provided to Purchasing|
|$20,001 to $60,000||3 written quotes provided to Purchasing|
|Greater than $60,000||Formal Competitive Bid/Request for Proposal issued by Purchasing Department|
|Small Purchase – $60,000 or Less||Proposal from Contractor; If greater than $3,000 a professional services contract form is required.|
|Greater than $60,000||Request for Proposal issued by Purchasing Department|